Friday, February 20, 2009

distinct family

Families are odd aren't they? My, I guess he's a, great uncle's (my mom's uncle) memorial was this week as he passed the end of last week. It was something we all knew was coming and were actually surprised he held on as long as he did but it is non the less very sad, but a blessing he is no longer suffering. I wish I could have made it up to be with the rest of the family, but work and lack of funding prevented this. I got to thinking about family dynamics, and realized how odd my family truly is.

A good friend of mine recently went to not one but 2 possibly 3 memorials for her step-grandmothers ( a lady she hasn't spoken to in years) and her whole family was pulled closer together for these events. In my life, I have not attended any family members funerals. Both of my fathers parents are deceased, But I did not even know about his father passing (nor did the rest of my immediate family) for over a month after the fact, so no surprise we didn't attend. His mother passed I am not sure when, as I didn't receive notice about that one either. To say we are not close to that side of the family is an understatement. My fathers brother also passed, prior to his father by a few months and again we had no idea. In fact we found out about them both at the same time. I believe that is all on his side of the family but I could be wrong and not even know about it.
On my mothers side, my uncle died the day I graduated high school, what a way to celebrate! But I could not attend any memorial for that one either. I have had other what I believe to be great uncles and aunts pass on that side of the family, and have not even thought about attending nor has my parents. I am not really sure the reasoning behind why not, but it just proves to me how my family is okay with providing financial support, and prayer support only, and until recently I did not realize there was a problem with that. As I grow, and learn, it has come to my attention that family is so much more that that. I understand we are spread across the country, but all my family can be reached with a day and a 1/2's drive if needed. It has always seemed odd to me that I have never met my 1st cousins (any of the 5) and out of my second cousins I only really know 4, and only truly know 2 of those 4.
It's no wonder that I am so independent. I don't have any model of anything else.

2 comments:

  1. In a way I do wish you were closer to your family. It hurts a lot more, but loving is totally worth it. My Mom's passing is next Thursday - eight years. It still seems like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gurl...contrasting font please! i feel like i am looking into a 3d puzzle hoping a majestic unicorn will pop out and slap me upside the head(:

    ReplyDelete